2019 RACE LOG/BLOG
Greatest Of All Time
1. 1/1/19-- RESCUE RUN 10K- PALMER PARK- THE COLDEST RACE IN ITS HISTORY-- 2 DEGREES AT THE START BUT FELT LIKE -12. 13TH OVERALL- 1ST PLACE DIVISION MEDAL.
WALT DISNEY WORLD MARATHON WEEKEND
2. THURSDAY- JANUARY 10, 2019-- WALT DISNEY WORLD 5K-- EASY RUN- NON COMPETITIVE-- FINISHED EASY FOR THE DOPEY CHALLENGE.
3. FRIDAY-JANUARY 11, 2019-- WALT DISNEY WORLD 10K-- 36:57-- 15TH OVERALL-- 11TH MALE OVERALL-- 1ST MASTER OVERALL-- 1ST PLACE 45-49 CHAMPION.
4. SATURDAY-JANUARY 12, 2019-- WALT DISNEY WORLD HALF MARATHON-- SPORTING MY RUNNERS ROOST COLORADO EDITION RACING KIT-- AND THE NIKE VAPORFLY 4%-- KNOCKED OUT A 1:21:25 IN ABOUT 80% HUMIDITY-- 27TH OVERALL-- 26TH MALE-- 1st PLACE DIVISION PODIUM WIN-45-49.
5. SUNDAY- JANUARY 13, 2019-- WALT DISNEY WORLD MARATHON-- EASY RUNNING TO FINISH THE DOPEY CHALLENGE-- TIME AND PLACE NOT RELEVANT. NEED SOME RECOVERY TIME AFTER DOPEY.
*In summary-- 48.6 miles completed in 4 races over 4 days-- (1) MASTERS division win in the 10k . (1) division win in the half marathon-- two awards to be received.
* JUST FINISHED 3 WEEKS OF 20 MINUTES A DAY BASE BUILDING WITH ONE CRAIG YOUNG LACTATE A WEEK ( JUST MOVED TO 20 MINUTE LACATE )
THE MASTER'S 10K CHAMPION
45-49 - CHAMPION
* NO RACING THE WEEKEND OF JANUARY 19 AND 20TH.
6. SATURDAY- JANUARY 26, 2019-- FROSTIES FROZEN 10 MILE-- HUDSON GARDENS- DENVER. The course was an out and back concrete course mostly flat with light gentle rolling inclines along Platte River -- sunny but cool and windy on the course-- going out North there was a headwind all the way to the turnaround. Not a great performance- felt tired and heavy at the end. I am at my 30 minutes a day build up with one Craig Young lactate a week and this ten mile race today.
COOL ROAD TO BOSTON MARATHON PRESENT FROM COACHING STAFF- FROM THE "ROCKET"-- VINTAGE 1977 BOSTON MARATHON GLASS SET --
7. SUNDAY- FEBRUARY 3, 2019-- SUPERBOWL HALF MARATHON-- SANTA FE TRAIL STARTING DOWNTOWN BY PLAZA OF THE ROCKIES AND NORTH UP SANTA FE TRAIL-- TURNAROUND AND BACK SOUTH ON SANTA FE TRAIL TO FINISH JUST SOUTH OF BIJOU BRIDGE-- A LOT OF CONCRETE AND SOME HARD PACKED GRAVEL TRAIL.
* VERY WINDY THROUGHOUT THE RACE-- SUNNY BUT COOLER WIND IN SPOTS AND WARMER IN SOME SPOTS.
*1:26:26-- 1ST PLACE 45-49- PODIUM DIVISION WIN-- 16TH OVERALL.
8. SUNDAY- FEBRUARY 24, 2019-- THE PUEBLO HALF MARATHON-- MAD MOOSE EVENTS--
*SPORTING MY $250 DOLLAR NIKE VAPORFLY 4% RACERS !!
9. SATURDAY- MARCH 9, 2019-- RUN THROUGH TIME- HALF MARATHON- SALIDA- COLORADO
* 1:43-- 2ND PLACE 40-49- 8th overall.
* SUNNY- BUT WINDY AND COOL- DIRT ROADS AND TECHNICAL ROLLING TRAILS WITH SOME GOOD CLIMBS. Challenging course with wind and a small amount of snow and mud. Course slightly changed due to snow on higher trails in the old course. I have been doing a lot of flat training for Boston Marathon- I did wonderful on the tough climbing and downhills. I still hung tough and kicked a lot of jabronee asses !!!!
Got my $250 Nike Vaporfly 4%
10. MARCH 16, 2019-- 5K ON ST. PATRICK'S DAY-- GRAND PRIX OF RUNNING- MAD MOOSE--
* 23RD Overall-- 18:03 chip time-- 3rd place podium division-45-49.
11. SATURDAY-MARCH 23, 2019-- BEHIND THE ROCKS ULTRA-- 10 MILE ( officially 10.5 miles)-- MAD MOOSE- MOAB, UTAH--
* 2ND Overall-- 1:13:37 chip time-- 1st Master Overall
No racing the weekend of March 30 and 31-- Focused on Boston Marathon training workouts this week by Craig Young.
* I have already been awarded my entry into the XTERRA WORLD CHAMPIONSHIPS IN HAWAII FOR THIS DECEMBER-- I have entered and I am officially in my 2nd XTERRA Hawaii World Championships for a division title defense and much much more !!!!
12. APRIL 6, 2019-- THREE CREEKS HALF MARATHON-- DENVER, CO--
4TH OVERALL - MISSED PRIZE MONEY BY ONE PLACE-- 1:24:55-- 1ST PLACE -45-49--
Same course as previous years- mostly flat to about 10 miles-- then some uphill trail climbing to mile 12 and a gentle sidewalk downhill to the finish.
sunny and hot.
13. SUNDAY- APRIL 7, 2018-- XTERRA 24K-- CHEYENNE MTN. STATE PARK--
* 1ST PLACE 45-49--- 1:57-- 6TH OVERALL--- GOOD JOB AS I WAS STARTING TO GET SICK--- LUNGS STARTING TO GET CONGESTED--
GRACING THE XTERRA POSTER FOR THIS RACE -- WITH RACE DIRECTOR ARNOLD SOLIMAN
14. MY FIRST BOSTON MARATHON-- MONDAY- APRIL 15, 2019-- PATRIOTS DAY-- !!
I WAS SICK THE WHOLE WEEK BEFORE REALLY BAD-- STARTING FROM THE XTERRA 24K FROM APRIL 7TH-- UNFORTUNATELY NOT FEELING GOOD AT ALL -- ESPECIALLY MY LUNGS-- AND BAD CONGESTION---- I HAD A FEW GOOD MARATHON TRAINING WEEKS SO I WAS READY TO ROCK AND ROLL BEFORE I GOT SICK-- of course I am a trail racer at heart but I am getting myself back out there on the roadracing scene also !!
Despite not feeling well, I looked damm good, my hair looked good, had my Greater Boston ( Bill Rogers - Greater Boston running club vintage tank from the 70's) tank top on , my Oregon project black shorts and my matching red socks--
the roaring crowd yelled out at me along the entire course-- "go Greater Boston"
I did not feel good from about the 10k on-- firstly, I got jammed up and boxed in the crowd from the start as I was in wave 2-- I did not know how to react to this because I had never ever been in a start like this before in a further back wave--- it took me a while to bounce back from this and get in the zone by the time I started going I was not feeling good at all. I was trained pretty good, and my experts and trainers finally concluded that it was the flu that impacted the performance-- my legs were fine the next day-- so we concluded that I DID NOT EVEN TAP INTO MY CURRENT FITNESS THAT I HAD !!! THIS IS A VERY IMPORTANT CONCLUSION.
I enjoyed the amazing experience--- the Wesley Boston college girls wanted me to stop and kiss them all but I kept running by ---- I kept pushing on slowly but surely--- I crossed the finish line --
* Despite being the coolest, sexiest, the most deserving, and the most electrifying road racer and mountain runner present that day----- I fell back-- BUT I DID NOT FAIL !!! I will be remembered here in Boston -- but still-- some will not give a shit that you placed 14,136th overall out of 30,000 ish-- and there is no fame or race highlights with those stats of course----- in general-- no one gives a shit about a middle of the packer--- only the best-- only the top overall--- the top masters--- and the top division winners----I am worthy of a better placement and better honors than my performance showed. But I made some cool things happen there; created memories; created intention and attraction of my desires with the universe !!!!!!
*Thank you too all of my Coaches, my Queen K, family, and my friends for following me and tracking me (with my bib number) on April 15th at Boston Marathon-- glad you had fun tracking me on that 26.2 mile journey to the finish line !!!!
* Getting over my sickness and back to training--
GREAT RACERS THINK ALIKE--
BILL ROGERS ON THE LEFT-- 4 TIME BOSTON WINNER.
Easter Sunday-- 4/21/18--- jogged Hams and Hamstrings 5k easy with the Rocket-- Coach Spell.
15. SATURDAY- APRIL 27, 2019-- THE CHEYENNE MOUNTAIN 10K--
IN A FAST YOUNG 10K CROWD- WITH SOME WESTERN STATES RUNNERS THROWN IN THE MIX-- 5TH OVERALL--- NEW MASTERS COURSE RECORD BREAKING MY OWN RECORD-- 42:30.
16. SUNDAY- APRIL 28, 2019-- THE CHERRY CREEK SNEAK 5 MILE--
WEEKEND OF MAY 4TH AND MAY 5TH--
17. SATURDAY- MAY 4TH, 2019- THE NEW GRAND PRIX OF RACING-- TAKE 5 IN THE GARDEN - 5 MILE- MAD MOOSE EVENTS--
AGAIN IN A TOUGH FIELD-- 6TH OVERALL-- 31:44-- 1ST OVERALL MASTER AWARD--
18. 2ND OF THE BACK TO BACK-- SUNDAY- MAY 5TH, 2019-- THE COLORADO HALF MARATHON-- FORT COLLINS, CO--
GOOD PERFORMANCE IN FORT COLLINS-- Starting in the canyon-- a gentle decline for about 3 miles - flaten out into town and wind through roads - we get one hill in the middle-- and then back down onto some bike paths winding through town and then some undulating sidewalk paths and finish at Washington Park this year. It was a cool start and a little hot at the end.
NOTE: I STILL HAVE CONGESTION IN MY LUNGS-- I STARTED NOT FEELING GOOD AGAIN TODAY-- LUNGS AND NASAL AGAIN-- NOT FEELING TOO WELL-- GETTING ON AN ANTIBIOTIC.
* No racing the weekend of May 11 and May 12, 2019.
Back to back weekend !!
19. SATURDAY -MAY 18, 2019-- RACE TO THE SHRINE -4 MILE -- basically 2.1 miles up and 1.9 miles fast and furious downhill on the paved service road to will rogers shrine. I had a great and SMART climb up to the turn around !!
*2ND OVERALL MALE PODIUM AWARD-- 26:06-- 1st place only beat me by about 20 seconds on the downhill-- took out CJ Hitz.
20. 2ND OF THE BACK TO BACK WEEKEND-- SUNDAY -MAY 19, 2019-- COLFAX HALF MARATHON-- DENVER, COLORADO-- I WAS 14TH MALE OVERALL-- 17TH OVERALL-- 2ND MASTER DIVISION OVERALL AWARD--- DID A 1:23:45-- 6:23 PER MILE PACE--
*THE KEY ITEM I DID REALLY WELL WAS MY CONSISTENCY AND GREAT AND SMART PACING IN THIS AS MY SPLITS WERE ONLY MERE SECONDS APART.
Going straight into next weekend (memorial weekend) on another double header- the 25th and Memorial Day- the 27th.
21. SATURDAY -MAY 25, 2019-- THE HIGH DRIVE CHALLENGE- 10 MILE-- (MAD MOOSE)--
Bear Creek Park to the top of high drive (7, 867 feet)-- and back down to Bear Creek Park. Good climbing to the top with rolling hills at the beginning and the middle.
* 7th overall in a good competitive field-- 3rd Master-- 1:12:56.
I really wasn't that far behind everyone at the top of high drive turn-around. Took out Nick Parton and Kristina Mascarenas !!
22. 2nd double header competition-- MEMORIAL DAY- MAY 27, 2019-- BOLDER BOULDER 10K-- 37:56 - 2ND PLACE DIVISION OVERALL AWARD-- 317TH OVERALL. LEGS STILL SORE FROM SATURDAY.
* RUNNERS ROOST DENVER AND COLORADO SPRINGS REPRESENTING AT BOLDER BOULDER !!!!
A NEW AND UNLIKELY CHALLENGER HAS EMERGED-- TO TAKE ME ON--
THE ROCKET VS. G-MAN
We are doing an age graded competition -- It started at Bolder Boulder-- We will keep you posted and let you know results as they come in !!! We are calling this the Resurrection !!!
We have not seen a battle like this since I Took on Kara Ford in 2013-2014- which still reigns as the greatest male-female battle of all time !!!! I took her down in the end !!! Now its the Rockets turn to go down and in the end I will be holding his head in my hand just like Kara Ford's !!!!
*QUICK FLASHBACK TO KARA FORD VS. ME-- FULL DETAILS CAN BE FOUND BACK IN 2O14 RACE ALBUM #1-- LOOK FOR THE PICTURE BELOW--
DOUBLE HEADER WEEKEND--
23. SATURDAY- JUNE 8, 2019-- MOUNT EVANS ASCENT-- 9.3 MILES--
Course was shortened to 9.3 miles from 14.5 due to snow on the course after this. The trucks got stuck after this point. EXTREMELY WINDY GUSTS-- Could not even run fast on the flatter areas and the slightly downhill finish with a water jump.
* 1:19:18 chip time-- 5th overall -- 2nd master-- 1st place division win-- missed the prize money by one place and a couple minutes.
24. SUNDAY-JUNE 9, 2019-- 2ND DOUBLE HEADER -- GARDEN OF THE GODS 10 MILE --
* Nice cool morning-- good racing temp.
* 1:03:44-- 12th male overall-- 15th overall-- 1st master overall champion !!! PLUS-- Set a new course record on my own record from 2017 !!
25. SATURDAY- JUNE 15, 2019-- THE LEADVILLE HEAVY HALF MARATHON-- 15.3 MILES--
*Starting at 10,200 feet and going up to about 12,000 feet-- an out and back course with some loops-- mostly uphill out with a couple downhills and back down with two good climbs on the way back-- with some road ups and downs.
This was my first Leadville heavy half marathon
* 6th overall-- ( I was 5th overall at the uphill turn-around) -- 2nd 40-49 podium award-- 1:51:19
26. JUNE 22, 2019-- SLACKER HALF MARATHON--
*5th OVERALL-- 1ST MASTER--- 1ST 45-49---- 1:18:01--- about 5:57 miles.
Course: Although this is advertised as a downhill course---We are still starting at 10,000 feet and there are a few hills along the way and some flat spots that you have to work through. But you do get some nice gentle downhill stretches that if your prepared for the downhill, you can use this to have a great race and pick up the tempo. Which I did, in fact-- in mile 2 what I did to the 5 person crowd I was hanging with for a while was I left them in the dust on a gentle downhill and picked up the pace and challenged them and took the lead for a good mile until 4 of them caught back up to me. I got passed by one more guy, but then I passed another guy ultimately finishing up in 5th and having one of my faster half marathons I have had in a while so overall--- a good performance here today.
No racing the weekend of June 29th and 30th
27. THURSDAY--JULY 4, 2019----- PALMER LAKE 4 MILE
* 22:51--5:43 PACE---19TH OVERALL---- 1ST MASTER---1ST DIVISION PLACE.
*I had planned on competing in the Vail Hill Climb on Saturday July 6th, but did not make it up to the race.
28. SUNDAY- JULY 14, 2019-- THE SUMMER ROUND-UP-- 2ND LEG OF THE TRIPLE CROWN OF RUNNING--- 13.4 MILES-- CHEYENNE MOUNTAIN STATE PARK
* 2ND OVERALL PERFORMANCE-- 1:40:08--
THE TRAINING OF GREATNESS
29. SATURDAY- JULY 20, 2019-- THE CLASSIC 10K -- USA TRACK AND FIELD 10K CHAMPIONSHIPS---