2018 RACE LOG
1. MONDAY- JANUARY 1ST-- RESCUE RUN 10K
WALT DISNEY WORLD MARATHON WEEKEND-- THE DOPEY CHALLENGE- EPCOT FLORIDA
25TH ANNIVERSARY FOR THE MARATHON
5TH ANNIVERSARY FOR THE DOPEY CHALLENGE
2. THURSDAY- JANURARY 4-- WALT DISNEY WORLD 5K--EASY TAPER RUNNING AS A WARM-UP FOR THE NEXT 3 DAYS -- TIME AND PLACE NOT RELEVANT.
3. FRIDAY- JANUARY 5-- WALT DISNEY WORLD 10K-- 9TH OVERALL OUT OF 13,000-- 2ND PLACE DIVISION AWARD-- 36:43. I WAS THE 2ND AMERICAN TO CROSS THE FINISH LINE TO BRAZIL AND COSTA RICA. BRAZIL WON THE DIVISION.
4. SATURDAY- JANUARY 6-- WALT DISNEY WORLD HALF MARATHON-- 22ND OVERALL OUT OF 20,000--- 1:20:53-- 2ND PLACE OVERALL DIVISION AWARD. AGAIN, THE FIRST AMERICAN TO PLACE IN MY DIVISION AND THE FIRST AMERICAN HOLDING MY PLACE GOING INTO THE MARATHON.
5. SUNDAY- JANUARY 7- WALT DISNEY WORLD MARATHON-- 333RD OVERALL OUT OF 26,000 -- 21ST AMERICAN IN MY AGE DIVISION-- NOTE: TODAY'S RACE WAS KIND OF HALF COMPETITIVE AND HALF EFFORT JUST TO COMPLETE THE SERIES SO I RAN HARD UNTIL ABOUT MILE 15 UNTIL MY LEGS FATIGUED AND THEN SLOWED THE PACE UP.
6. SATURDAY- JANUARY 20TH-- FROSTIES FROZEN 10 MILE-- THE RRCA WESTERN REGIONAL 10 MILE CHAMPIONSHIP
* HUDSON GARDENS, LITTLETON- I AM THE 2018 RRCA WESTERN REGIONAL 40-49 MASTER'S 10 MILE CHAMPION !!!! -- 1:03:21-- TOUGH COMPETITVE FIELD-- 15TH OVERALL.
* A mostly flat lightly rolling concrete pathway along Platte river- out and back with high winds. Took off on a fast great start, struggled in the 2nd half with the wind, but I managed to pull of an incredible victory !!
*With some some coaching help from Craig Young and Coach Spell I am changing my training strategy this year working on speed and getting ready for Boston. Getting back to Craig Young training principles.
7. SATURDAY- JANUARY 27TH-- MAD MOOSE- ARCHES ULTRA -HALF MARATHON-- MOAB, UTAH--
*2nd overall-- 1:34:05-- Course: at about 4,000 feet - started out fairly flat on a paved bike path out a couple of miles and then onto single track rolling trail-- followed by miles of rolling slick rock and back onto dirt trail and finish where we started -- nice mild cool sunny weather. I had gained on 1st place a few times on the rolling slick rock.
YEP, WE EVEN GOT A PHOTO BOMB FROM DENISE RICKS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
8. SUPERBOWL SUNDAY- FEBRUARY 4TH, 2018-- THE SUPER HALF MARATHON--
* IN A VERY COMPETITIVE FIELD THIS YEAR--- DROPPING TEMPERATURES AND STRONG WINDS IN THE RACE- FROM 40 DEGREES AT THE START TO 9 DEGREES AT THE FINISH--
1:24:51-- 23RD OVERALL-- 2ND PLACE AGE DIVISION PODIUM- 4TH MASTER OVERALL. I raced very well and paced very well, my first mile was fast and should have been 15 seconds slower than it was- here are my mile splits:
1-- 6:00 7--6:35 13--6:32
3-- 6:26 9--6:29 average pace =6:27
This is off of three weeks of new revised Craig Young and Coach Spell improvised training. I took it marathon pace slower on purpose going out and then pushed lactate pace coming back and tried some new strategy from coaches. I can beat Brad Poppeli, Peter Flemming, and Marcus Corbett !!!!!! I AM THE BEST -- NOT THEM !!!
MY WINE AND DINE -- 3RD OVERALL 10K AWARD AND MY 3RD PLACE DIVISION HALF MARATHON AWARD FROM NOVEMBER 2017.
MY DOPEY CHALLENGE DOUBLE AGE DIVISION AWARDS- 10K AND HALF MARATHON PLACER-- IN AN INTERNATIONAL FIELD THIS YEAR.
THE GREATEST OF ALL TIME
POUND FOR POUND - THE GREATEST OF MY ERA !!!
MY COLORADO RUNNER MAGAZINE INTERVIEW -MARCH 2018 INTERVIEW--
The past 8 weeks-- I have not competed since the Superbowl Half Marathon in February--
I was training perfectly, executing Craig Young Training-- the week after the Superbowl half, a perfectly completed 10 mile lactate caused my left knee to flare up, this workout wasn't the only cause of the inflammation, but brought out inflammation and swelling that was there for a few weeks now.
With the Boston Marathon coming up and other big races on the horizon-- me, my amazing Dr. Wife, Physical therapy, and my training team and coaches started to get to work on me. Despite all of our efforts, we didn't have enough time to get fully healed in time for Boston which was today April 16th, 2018. Therefore, I did not get to get in enough proper training to be competitive in the race, as I was in race wave 1.
Simply put-- after taking x-rays and an MRI-- I have inflammation under my left kneecap and some edema on my femur by my left kneecap. There is no damage or tearing to my cartilage or ligaments in my knee. It just needs time and healing.
MY THERAPY INCLUDES:
I HAVE LEARNED MANY THINGS THIS PAST 8 WEEKS OF SOME DO'S AND DONT'S IN TRAINING-- I WILL BE ELIMINATING SOME THINGS I USED TO DO AND ADDING SOME COOL NEW THINGS IN TRAINING.
I am amazed the horrible things many of you fellow athletes and runners out there are doing in your training and you don't even know the damage you are doing --- WOW !!!
I need a little more time off -- I am gently working back in running with my cross training. I will be back with a vengeance soon. WHEN I GET BACK TO MY CRAIG YOUNG TRAINING AGAIN-- I WILL BE AN UNSTOPPABLE FORCE, THE BEST EVER !!!!!!
THE COLORADO SPRINGS "YOUNG AT HEART" RACING TEAM IS BEING RE-BORN AND IN THE WORKS.
I COULD NOT BE IN THE BOSTON MARATHON THIS YEAR-- BUT HERE IS MY VIRTUAL ENTRY
ROMERO-- BOSTON BOUND-- FOR THE 2019 BOSTON MARATHON
I will qualify again for Boston 2019 at American Discovery Trail Marathon on Labor Day 2018 !!!
And-- defend my Master's course record on the point to point course from Palmer Lake to America the Beautiful Park.
MY COMEBACK FROM BEING OUT DUE TO INFLAMMATION IN MY LEFT KNEE
I have been out of action since about a week after the superbowl half marathon here in colorado springs-- my left knee was in pain after a lactate workout perfectly executed a week after the superbowl half.
I was out for 3-4 months with time off and sporadic cross training including- water running, elliptical, and cycling
I went over (above) what I completed in therapy for the past 4 months.
My training team has worked on me for the past 4 months-- Several running organizations here in springs have received many inquiries about me-- wondering where I was in the racing scene ? Was I ok?
Wondering if I was ok-- The running world has not been the same.
It has been a hard road to comeback-- again-- my knees are completely healthy-- besides some normal wear from age and running for 40 years.
Since Febuary-- to today-- I have continued --
I got a steroid cortizone shot at the end of April in my left knee-- this was actually the catalyst that started my healing process to explode-- I didn't abuse the shot-- I continued a little more time off-- no racing -- light sporadic training-- more cross training.
In may I started with 10 min every other day-- starting on easy trails like penrose, bear creek, monument valley park. Then I moved to ten min every day-- then 15 minutes every other day-- then 15 minutes every day-- moving to harder trails-- then 20 minutes every day-- at this time I started racing and hovering around 20 -30 minutes a day.
Continuing good nutrition and supplements, massage and cupping. Positive affirmations and reinforcement.
I lost a lot of conditioning -- it is just a fact-- my left knee got real tight around the joint-- and I felt it here and there----but today it has improved 100%--- I have done no speed work and no long runs but I have been racing and now I am training !!!
HERE IS MY CONTINUING RACING LOG STARTING WITH THE FIRST RACE I DID SINCE THE SUPERBOWL HALF---
* note-- the cortizone shot would be in my system for about 3 months.
I jogged easy in the grand prix St. Pats 5k in March- did not register-- Left knee hurt a couple days after that. Still not feeling good.
APRIL 1ST, 2018-- I jumped into the Hams and Hamstrings race just as a test on my left knee at the time-- this was non competitive- easy jogging. Time and place was not relevant here. * I finished the 5k-- my left knee hurt going up the gentle incline on the trail to the turnaround.
SUNDAY- APRIL 22, 2018-- I jumped into the Cherry Creek Sneak 5 mile in Denver-- again- just as a test on my legs-- non competitive- easy running - finished the 5 mile race ok. No serious issues.
I did a 45:38-- 322nd overall- 21st place age division-- I did not race hard.
They took this picture of me during the national anthem at the race start !!!
SATURDAY-MAY 5, 2018-- TAKE 5 IN THE GARDEN OF THE GODS-- again mostly just a trial to test the knee- I was registered and took it easy for a couple miles on the rolling hills-- then picked it up a little in the last 3 miles. I was 78th overall-- 47:59-- 9:36 average pace-- 6th place 45-49. Non competitive. KNEE MADE IT THROUGH OK-- NO HUGE ISSUES-- JUST TENDER.
9. NOW THIS IS WHAT I WOULD KIND OF CONSIDER KIND OF MY FIRST COMEBACK RACE OF THE SEASON-- I PLACED 1ST MASTER AND RAN HARD HERE (FOR BEING OUT OF SHAPE WITH HARDLY ANY MILES EXCEPT FOR THE SPORADIC RACING).
MAY 26, 2018-- THE HIGH DRIVE CHALLENGE 4 MILE-- MAD MOOSE- BEAR CREEK PARK--
5TH OVERALL-- 28:41 -- 85.87 % RANKING-- 6TH BEST TIME SINCE 2016. 1ST MASTER OVERALL. Left knee hurt a little after this.
10. JUNE 10, 2018-- GARDEN OF THE GODS 10 MILE RUN-- 2ND YEAR OF NEW COURSE FINISHING AT ROCK LEDGE RANCH-- 1:14:09-- 67TH OVERALL-- 57TH MALE OVERALL-- 3RD PLACE PODIUM-45-49- 7:25 PACE. AFTER THIS RACE I KNEW I WAS FEELING BETTER AND ON MY WAY TO HEALING MY LEFT KNEE.
11. JUNE 23, 2018-- SLACKER 4 MILE-- FROM LOVELAND SKI BASIN TO GEORGETOWN--
12. JUNE 29TH, 2018-- BLUE MOON SERIES #1-- UTE VALLEY PARK - 5K--
with continued knee support with a brace-- 5th overall-- 1st 40-49-- 22:14-- 7:10 pace--
* course- same as previous years- rolling technical trail terrain.
13. WEDNESDAY - JULY 4, 2018-- PALMER LAKE- 4 MILE-- wore knee brace--
25:30--- 58th out of 1,160-- 52 nd male overall-- 2nd place podium-46-55--- 6:23 pace.
14. SATURDAY-- JULY 7, 2018-- THE VAIL HILL CLIMB-- VAIL, CO-- 7.8 miles.
15. SUNDAY-- JULY 8, 2018-- SUMMER ROUND-UP TRAIL RACE-- 2ND LEG OF THE TRIPLE CROWN OF RUNNING-- INAUGURAL HALF MARATHON AT CHEYENNE MOUNTAIN STATE PARK--
16. SUNDAY-- JULY 15, 2018-- BARR TRAIL MOUNTAIN RACE-- To barr camp and finish up hydro street.
17. SATURDAY -- JULY 21, 2018-- CAMP HALE HALF MARATHON-- THE LA SPORTIVA VAIL SERIES RACE--
18. SUNDAY-JULY 22, 2018-- XTERRA -- BEAVER CREEK 20k-- AVON , CO--
HAWAII BETTER BRACE THEMSELVES FOR TEAM ROMERO TO LAND !!!!!!
19. FRIDAY-- JULY 27, 2018-- BLUE MOON SERIES # 2-- long series - 8k -- UTE VALLEY PARK--
20. SATURDAY - JULY 28, 2018-- THE GRAND PRIX -- CLASSIC 10K-- TIFFANY SQUARE TO MONUMENT VALLEY PARK-- SAME POINT TO POINT COURSE SINCE 1999.
21. SATURDAY-- AUGUST 4, 2018-- THE BERRY PICKER-- LA SPORTIVA VAIL SERIES--
4.5 mile up berry picker trail in Vail-- steep climbing on single track trail to 10,300 feet.
22. SUNDAY-- AUGUST 5, 2018-- XTERRA 20k-- CASTLE ROCK-- Colorado-- final XTERRA race for points for 2018--
THE QUEEN K-- IS THE 2018 REGIONAL CHAMPION FOR 40-45 -- QUEEN TBE !!!!
BACK TO TRAINING
Week 5 -- of a 1 mile lactate building phase-- and progressing every 6 weeks.
23. SATURDAY- AUGUST 11, 2018---WOODLAND PARK MAYORS CUP 10K--
24. AUGUST 18TH AND 19TH---- PIKES PEAK ASCENT AND MARATHON WEEKEND-- I AM A DOUBLER--
I DID IT-- AFTER TAKING 4 MONTHS OFF WITH INFLAMMATION IN MY LEFT KNEE-- I HAVE CREATED AND MANIFESTED MY PATHWAY TO THE TOP WITH COMPLETION OF A BIG PIKES PEAK WEEKEND OF RACING -- EVEN WITH THE PIKES PEAK ASCENT SHORTENED TO A BARR CAMP FINISH DUE TO LIGHTNING AND WEATHER CONCERNS AT THE TOP ON SUNDAY-- IT WAS A BRUTAL FAST GRIND FROM MANITOU SPRINGS TO BARR CAMP. I PLACED 1ST PLACE AGE DIVISION PODIUM-- MISSING THE 5TH MASTER'S SPOT BY SECONDS -- I HAD THAT JABRONEE !!!!! THEN, I GOT SOME REDEMPTION AND I COMPLETED THE PIKES PEAK MARATHON-- IN 5:33-- TOOK IT OUT CAREFULLY OUT TO THE TOP A LITTLE SLOWER AND THEN PICKED IT UP AROUND TREE LINE WHEN I COULD DO SOME REAL DOWNHILL RACING. I COULD HAVE RUN AROUND 3 HOURS FOR MY ASCENT BUT I KNEW I WAS NOT PROPERLY CONDITIONED WITH MY PREVIOUS LEFT KNEE INJURY AND BEING OUT FOR 4 MONTHS THIS YEAR. THE TOP 2 MILES WAS A CHALLENGE FOR ME. LOST A LITTLE TIME UP THERE.
REVISED ASCENT--FINISH AT BARR CAMP
PIKES PEAK MARATHON
* DESPITE THE ODDS COMING BACK FROM INJURY-- AND BEING OUT OF RACING AND TRAINING FOR MONTHS-- AND HAVING A POOR PERFORMANCE AT THE SUMMER ROUNDUP--- I MADE MY WAY BACK TO A TRIPLE CROWN OF RUNNING OVERALL 4TH PLACE MASTER'S PODIUM AWARD-- !!!! I TOOK OUT THE JABRONEES I NEEDED TO BEAT AT THE REVISED SHORTENED PIKES PEAK ASCENT.
25. FRIDAY- AUGUST 24, 2018-- BLUE MOON SERIES #3-- AND FINAL LEG OF THE GRAND PRIX OF RACING-- Despite entering the series just coming off a lag in training for 4 months and left knee inflammation -- I did average in race 1, got screwed up with being sent the wrong direction twice in race 2, and then came back strong in race 3--- I ended up winning my master's age division at the end.
26. SATURDAY-- AUGUST 25, 2018-- 10K AT 10,000 FEET-- LA SPORTIVA VAIL RACING SERIES--
4TH PLACE AGE DIVISION --i got stuck behind some of the 5k crowd in the last half mile on a single track trail- which cost me a place. left knee a little tender.
one race left in the series to compete for my podium win in the series.
MY BIRTHDAY LABOR DAY WEEKEND BABY !!!!!
27. SUNDAY- SEPTEMBER 2ND, 2018-- BACK TO BRONCOS 7K-- MILE HIGH STADIUM- DENVER-- Course was an urban neiborhood race on the streets from the stadium- gently climbed up to Sloans Lake and back to the Stadium -- finishing on the 50 yard line at mile high stadium. And I had to lay the smackdown in an electrifying finish in the stadium with one of the top females. I got 3rd place in my age division-- another podium place !!!!! And 17th overall.
28. LABOR DAY-- MONDAY- SEPTEMBER 3, 2018--- THE AMERICAN DISCOVERY TRAIL MARATHON-- I FUCKING GOT MY BOSTON QUALIFICATION !!!! I AM FUCKING GOING TO BOSTON IN APRIL 2019 FOR THE BOSTON MARATHON !!!!!
29. SATURDAY-SEPTEMBER 15, 2018-- FINAL RACE OF THE 2018 LA SPORTIVA VAIL SERIES-- MEADOW GOLD 10K-- MINTURN, CO-- Race start at 8,000 feet and high point at 8,900 --
30. SUNDAY-SEPTEMBER 16, 2018-- XTERRA NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIPS-- OGDEN, UTAH-- 21K
SNOWBASIN RESORT --
14th overall-- 2nd place 45-49-- 1:39:14--- representing Colorado !!!!!!!!!!
I will be representing the USA at the world championships in Hawaii on December 2nd- 2018-- XTERRA WORLD CHAMPIONSHIPS !
* MY ENTRY INTO THE 2019 BOSTON MARATHON HAS BEEN ACCEPTED -- SEALED AND DELIVERED-- ITS GOING TO BE ELECTRIFYING !!!!
STAY TUNED FOR THIS ONE-- BOSTON BOUND 2019 -- MONDAY- APRIL 15, 2019 !!!
31. SUNDAY- SEPTEMBER 23, 2018-- XTERRA- GOLDEN GATE 22K-- Golden Gate Canyon-Golden--
3rd overall podium-- on a challenging 2 loop technical course-- hills and downhills. It was hot.
slow motion video link above !!!
Kari-- 2nd place age division podium-- 40-45.
TRIPLE CROWN OF RUNNING 2018 AWARDS CEREMONY-- IVY WILD-BRISTOL BREWING --
SEPTEMBER 27, 2018
4TH MASTER OVERALL PODIUM
RUNNERS ROOST RACING TEAM --
COLORADO SPRINGS AND DENVER
ME AND JAY SURVILL !!!!!
32. SATURDAY- OCTOBER 29, 2018-- THE COLORADO SPRINGS HALF MARATHON - DOWNTOWN COLORADO SPRINGS-- start at Tejon at Acacia park; up Platte Ave. around prospect lake; back down platte through downtown; into America the beautiful park; back North up the Santa Fe trail; through the old north neighborhoods-- back down Cascade and into downtown to the finish on Tejon !!
NOTE: first road race half marathon in quite a while-- it has been mostly trail racing lately since knee injury-- have only started a phased lactate plan starting with 1 mile and now moved to 10 minutes once a week. Building up. This was on trail training and racing. I am not fully trained yet-- THE BEST IS YET TO COME !!!!!
33. SATURDAY- OCTOBER 6, 2018-- RIM TO RIM 10K - CANYON CITY-ROYAL GORGE--
SAME COURSE AS PREVIOUS 2 YEARS- START ON ROAD WITH A GENTLE UPHILL TO TWO OUT AND BACK DIRT ROAD ROLLING HILL LOOPS- ANOTHER OUT AND BACK ON THE WAY IN AND THEN FINISH DOWNHILL - ACROSS THE ROYAL GORGE BRIDGE TO THE FINISH.
1ST OVERALL CHAMPION- $100 PRIZE MONEY !!
34. SUNDAY- OCTOBER 7, 2018-- XTERRA HALF MARATHON- CHEYENNE MOUNTAIN STATE PARK- CO SPGS--
2ND OVERALL PODIUM BY A SECOND !!!! A COOL START - STAYED RIGHT ON THE 19 YEAR OLD 1ST PLACE AND CAUGHT UP WITH HIM A FEW TIMES ON THE UPHILLS AND HE SURGED ON THE DOWNHILLS- CULMINATING IN AN HISTORIC SPRINT IN NIPPING ME BARELY BY A SECOND !!! CLOSEST FINISH IN XTERRA CHEYENNE MT. RACE HISTORY !!
HOT OF THE XTERRA PLANET PRESS- I MADE THE COVER AND ARTICLE IN THE LATEST XTERRA NEWSLETTER OCTOBER 9, 2018
COVER ARTICLE FOR DENVER RUNNER'S ROOST TEAM PAGE--
* THANK YOU THOMAS STAINS FOR SHARING !!!!
NO RACING WEEKEND OF SATURDAY AND SUNDAY OCTOBER 13 AND 14- JUST TRAINING THROUGH--
NEXT WEEKEND-- OCTOBER 20 AND 21-- INAUGURAL CHEYENNE MT. HALF MARATHON ON SATURDAY AND DENVER ROCK AND ROLL HALF ON SUNDAY !!
* OUT OF ROOM HERE IN 2018 RACING BLOG PART 1--
*SEE 2018 RACING BLOG PART 2 ABOVE IN BLOGS FOR CONTINUED 2018 RACE BLOG !!