2018 RACE LOG
1. MONDAY- JANUARY 1ST-- RESCUE RUN 10K
WALT DISNEY WORLD MARATHON WEEKEND-- THE DOPEY CHALLENGE- EPCOT FLORIDA
25TH ANNIVERSARY FOR THE MARATHON
5TH ANNIVERSARY FOR THE DOPEY CHALLENGE
2. THURSDAY- JANURARY 4-- WALT DISNEY WORLD 5K--EASY TAPER RUNNING AS A WARM-UP FOR THE NEXT 3 DAYS -- TIME AND PLACE NOT RELEVANT.
3. FRIDAY- JANUARY 5-- WALT DISNEY WORLD 10K-- 9TH OVERALL OUT OF 13,000-- 2ND PLACE DIVISION AWARD-- 36:43. I WAS THE 2ND AMERICAN TO CROSS THE FINISH LINE TO BRAZIL AND COSTA RICA. BRAZIL WON THE DIVISION.
4. SATURDAY- JANUARY 6-- WALT DISNEY WORLD HALF MARATHON-- 22ND OVERALL OUT OF 20,000--- 1:20:53-- 2ND PLACE OVERALL DIVISION AWARD. AGAIN, THE FIRST AMERICAN TO PLACE IN MY DIVISION AND THE FIRST AMERICAN HOLDING MY PLACE GOING INTO THE MARATHON.
5. SUNDAY- JANUARY 7- WALT DISNEY WORLD MARATHON-- 333RD OVERALL OUT OF 26,000 -- 21ST AMERICAN IN MY AGE DIVISION-- NOTE: TODAY'S RACE WAS KIND OF HALF COMPETITIVE AND HALF EFFORT JUST TO COMPLETE THE SERIES SO I RAN HARD UNTIL ABOUT MILE 15 UNTIL MY LEGS FATIGUED AND THEN SLOWED THE PACE UP.
6. SATURDAY- JANUARY 20TH-- FROSTIES FROZEN 10 MILE-- THE RRCA WESTERN REGIONAL 10 MILE CHAMPIONSHIP
* HUDSON GARDENS, LITTLETON- I AM THE 2018 RRCA WESTERN REGIONAL 40-49 MASTER'S 10 MILE CHAMPION !!!! -- 1:03:21-- TOUGH COMPETITVE FIELD-- 15TH OVERALL.
* A mostly flat lightly rolling concrete pathway along Platte river- out and back with high winds. Took off on a fast great start, struggled in the 2nd half with the wind, but I managed to pull of an incredible victory !!
*With some some coaching help from Craig Young and Coach Spell I am changing my training strategy this year working on speed and getting ready for Boston. Getting back to Craig Young training principles.
7. SATURDAY- JANUARY 27TH-- MAD MOOSE- ARCHES ULTRA -HALF MARATHON-- MOAB, UTAH--
*2nd overall-- 1:34:05-- Course: at about 4,000 feet - started out fairly flat on a paved bike path out a couple of miles and then onto single track rolling trail-- followed by miles of rolling slick rock and back onto dirt trail and finish where we started -- nice mild cool sunny weather. I had gained on 1st place a few times on the rolling slick rock.
YEP, WE EVEN GOT A PHOTO BOMB FROM DENISE RICKS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
8. SUPERBOWL SUNDAY- FEBRUARY 4TH, 2018-- THE SUPER HALF MARATHON--
* IN A VERY COMPETITIVE FIELD THIS YEAR--- DROPPING TEMPERATURES AND STRONG WINDS IN THE RACE- FROM 40 DEGREES AT THE START TO 9 DEGREES AT THE FINISH--
1:24:51-- 23RD OVERALL-- 2ND PLACE AGE DIVISION PODIUM- 4TH MASTER OVERALL. I raced very well and paced very well, my first mile was fast and should have been 15 seconds slower than it was- here are my mile splits:
1-- 6:00 7--6:35 13--6:32
3-- 6:26 9--6:29 average pace =6:27
This is off of three weeks of new revised Craig Young and Coach Spell improvised training. I took it marathon pace slower on purpose going out and then pushed lactate pace coming back and tried some new strategy from coaches. I can beat Brad Poppeli, Peter Flemming, and Marcus Corbett !!!!!! I AM THE BEST -- NOT THEM !!!
MY WINE AND DINE -- 3RD OVERALL 10K AWARD AND MY 3RD PLACE DIVISION HALF MARATHON AWARD FROM NOVEMBER 2017.
MY DOPEY CHALLENGE DOUBLE AGE DIVISION AWARDS- 10K AND HALF MARATHON PLACER-- IN AN INTERNATIONAL FIELD THIS YEAR.
THE GREATEST OF ALL TIME
POUND FOR POUND - THE GREATEST OF MY ERA !!!
MY COLORADO RUNNER MAGAZINE INTERVIEW -MARCH 2018 INTERVIEW--
The past 8 weeks-- I have not competed since the Superbowl Half Marathon in February--
I was training perfectly, executing Craig Young Training-- the week after the Superbowl half, a perfectly completed 10 mile lactate caused my left knee to flare up, this workout wasn't the only cause of the inflammation, but brought out inflammation and swelling that was there for a few weeks now.
With the Boston Marathon coming up and other big races on the horizon-- me, my amazing Dr. Wife, Physical therapy, and my training team and coaches started to get to work on me. Despite all of our efforts, we didn't have enough time to get fully healed in time for Boston which was today April 16th, 2018. Therefore, I did not get to get in enough proper training to be competitive in the race, as I was in race wave 1.
Simply put-- after taking x-rays and an MRI-- I have inflammation under my left kneecap and some edema on my femur by my left kneecap. There is no damage or tearing to my cartilage or ligaments in my knee. It just needs time and healing.
MY THERAPY INCLUDES:
I HAVE LEARNED MANY THINGS THIS PAST 8 WEEKS OF SOME DO'S AND DONT'S IN TRAINING-- I WILL BE ELIMINATING SOME THINGS I USED TO DO AND ADDING SOME COOL NEW THINGS IN TRAINING.
I am amazed the horrible things many of you fellow athletes and runners out there are doing in your training and you don't even know the damage you are doing --- WOW !!!
I need a little more time off -- I am gently working back in running with my cross training. I will be back with a vengeance soon. WHEN I GET BACK TO MY CRAIG YOUNG TRAINING AGAIN-- I WILL BE AN UNSTOPPABLE FORCE, THE BEST EVER !!!!!!
THE COLORADO SPRINGS "YOUNG AT HEART" RACING TEAM IS BEING RE-BORN AND IN THE WORKS.
I COULD NOT BE IN THE BOSTON MARATHON THIS YEAR-- BUT HERE IS MY VIRTUAL ENTRY
ROMERO-- BOSTON BOUND-- FOR THE 2019 BOSTON MARATHON